Somebody is not telling the whole truth about Yu Darvish’s communications with the Yankees.
After initially disputing a report that the Yanks haven’t made him an official offer as a free agent, Darvish took to Twitter again later Friday to clarify that they had — just not at the reported contract terms: seven years and $160 million, as Michael Kay said on his ESPN radio show Thursday.
“Sorry guys. My mistake,” Darvish tweeted. “Actually they did make offer but the numbers are not correct.”
Yankees sources, however, told the Daily News that no offer was made, although such parameters may have been discussed.
It seems logical that the Yankees did not make that offer official, because Darvish would likely never have snubbed it.
After revealing earlier in the week that the Yanks were on his list of six teams he’s considering in free agency, Darvish also had tweeted earlier Friday about the Bombers, saying, “They don’t give me offer yet,” before amending that later.
Kay also reported that the Yanks pulled the potential contract after Darvish didn’t accept it within a 48-hour window.
GM Brian Cashman had acknowledged publicly on WFAN earlier on Thursday that the Yanks at least have been in contact with Darvish’s camp.
“Do we recognize Yu Darvish as a unique talent and a premier starting pitcher in the marketplace? Yes we do,” Cashman said. “Would we be one of the last teams standing (in any bidding for Darvish)? I can’t answer that.
“I do think there are things we can do to create (payroll) flexibility. And that’s why you stay engaged with high-end guys in the marketplace.”
With John Harper